Sunday, November 22, 2009

Addendum: "Youth Groups..."

By Joe Harrison

I would like to point out something that I should have said in the previous post, "The Dangers of Youth Groups". And that's the intentions of said Youth Leaders. I want you, the reader, to know that I understand that these Youth Leaders have good intentions. I really believe that. But to quote my man Dr. Alan Grant from Jurassic Park III:
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."
And I believe this quote to be entirely true. Now, you know me, I... well... hate is too harsh a term... but I really dislike all the cheesy slogans that Christians come up with these days. "Let go and let God". "No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace." And a bajillion other silly ones that may be true, but they still make me cringe. Anyway, so if you know me you know I really dislike Christian slogans. But I have to take a step away from that and come up with one of my own. You ready for it?

Things should not be done with good intentions, they should be done with God intentions.

There. Major cheese-factor, I know, but true. God intentions. As in letting the Holy Spirit guide you in God's Will. Not what you think is the best thing. What God knows is the best thing. Once again, this is one of our biggest problems. We are trying to teach teenagers about God with our own strength. But we need to do it through/with God's Strength. Otherwise it becomes empty and fruitless.

Now I do apologize if, in the previous post, I sounded a bit harsh. My concern is for the unsaved and newly Born Again teenagers out there. My concern is not to bash Youth Leaders. But it often comes out that way. It often sounds like I'm more out to kill all the Youth Leaders rather than wanting to help the teen generation. And I apologize if it came off that way.

I am just so concerned, so worried about where Christianity is and where it is heading today. It devastates me to see so many of my brothers and sisters in Christ being swept away by the false doctrines of modernizing the Gospel to make it more acceptable when this is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. If any of you were hurt by the blogpost, I ask for your forgiveness, but once again I also ask that you not dismiss what I said, but think about it and pray about it.

Please. The teen generation does not need cool Youth Leaders and cool entertainment and a cool atmosphere. The teen generation needs to know Who God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment